Sunday, May 20, 2018

Time for a Challenge.

Also time to do some updates, but first things first.

Marc Taro Holmes, he of the Urban Sketcher, is participating in a challenge that is just right for both beginners and experienced painters.

Paint 30 paintings in 30 days.

If you have your little portable palette and journal, you can take a few minutes every day to paint something, anything, while going about your day.

If you have more time you can do a larger, studio painting. It doesn't really matter. Holmes is an urban sketcher so he is going to try to get out more. I'll only be journaling in days when I'm not home at all. June 5 is my last day of watercolor class this session so this challenge is a good way to keep going outside of class. We all have difficulty making time to paint.

I do not do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram so I will be posting my efforts on this blog. I may not post them every day but I will endeavor to paint every day and eventually get those paintings posted.

I plan to use this as an opportunity not just for more practice but to explore more palettes and get comfortable painting larger.

I have several palettes mostly Daniel Smith. I have my standard one based on suggestions from Jane Blundell using Daniel Smith. I have a palette of artist made watercolors from Greenleaf and Blueberry with a few substitutions from Jazper Stardust. I am going to try a few paintings using nothing but Daniel Smith Primateks. I am going to try Marc Taro Holmes suggested palettes in both 12 and 21 colors*. And I am going to try a few using nothing but the “original” primary colors as stated on Handprint, there being four; Nickel Diozine Yellow(PY153), Quinacridone Rose (PV19), Phthalocyanine blue, Green Shade (PB 15:3) and Phthalocyanine green, Yellow Shade (PG36). (Don't beat yourself up trying to find PY153. It's discontinued but I have a bit.) I think that will give me plenty to practice on in 30 days. I’ll probably start with journaling, to try out my new Noodler’s bullet proof inks and new Neponset pen and work my way up in size. I hope by the end of the month to be doing larger paintings than I am currently doing. I need to work at working larger than 12 x 16.

* Tyrian Purple is discontinued. Try Daniel Smith Permanent Violet or thioindigo violet PR88 as it has the same pigment number. (Remember what I said about pigment numbers versus the names of colors?) 

Marc Taro Holmes 21 color urban sketching palette

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a blog on watercolor and plein air. If your comment doesn't refer to either, it may be removed or denied. Play nice.